Who are you?
If there is a Superman and a Batman, there is the kind of superhero group which I belong to and we are called the Youth. We battle out our daily dosage of kryptonite. We fight against the evil and try to save the world from it. It’s always exciting to be a superhero but what comes with each superhero? The answer is a secret Identity. Unlike Superman, Batman, and Spiderman, we do not need our costumes and kung-fu skills but we have our hearts, souls, and minds: The three most important superpowers we could acquire.
I do have superpowers but there is a basis on why these superpowers were given to me (just like any other great superhero). It started when I reached the age of reasoning. I felt the world was not a storybook and it was not drawn with a crayon with magicians and pirates. I was welcomed to the world of LIFE and REALITY.
The two people who destroyed my perspective on parenthood started to disappear for months at a time and like falling into a well, it was dark and painful. I sat in the dark wondering about things a child shouldn’t be thinking about. I began to do things a child shouldn’t be doing. My vision of a happy home meant money, “tough-ness”, and independence and nothing more. Three little superheroes we’re also in the picture but they were still playing, they didn’t understand things fully and the weight was finally placed on me. I had to teach these little superheroes how to face the life they had, the life we had. I saw the bigger and older superheroes and they were falling down and it hit me that I may never be the superhero I wanted to be. How could I ever be strong and stronger than the better superheroes? If they were falling, how would I be better than them? Years went by and nothing changed. Nothing seemed to make sense in this world; I finally fell deeper into my well. There was no water or food down there, I was starving to survive but I didn’t make it: I died. I thought my fall was bad enough, I just had to die later on. I don’t recall the exact words of the almighty but he said, “Not yet.” I fought the battle against my demon and I rose from what people call a miracle. I found refuge in earth when I opened my eyes for the first time. I understood the meaning of life and how important love is. I still have my battles, as they all say, being a superman isn’t easy. Who am I? I’m just like every other 16 year old kid my age, who is still searching for answers. I’m still finding my place here on earth. What I keep in mind though, is, this process of finding ourselves and our purpose here on earth makes us superheroes.
I am strong but also weak. I am independent but I also need. I am smart but I need to learn more. I have faith but I need to believe more.
No comments:
Post a Comment