My class schedule for 1st semester!
I decided to gather the information about each course :) I dont know why, I guess I want my readers to know the overview of what I'm going to take up this incoming semester.
Writing the Essay: This is a required course in expository writing for CAS, Stern, and Education students; it is the foundational writing course. It provides instruction and practice in critical reading, creative thinking, and clear writing. It provides additional instruction in analyzing and interpreting written texts, the use of written texts as evidence, the development of ideas, and the writing of both exploratory and argumentative essays. The course stresses exploration, inquiry, reflection, analysis, revision, and collaborative learning.
Antiquity and the Renaissance: The "Renaissance" understands itself as an age bearing witness to the "rebirth" of classical antiquity. In art, philosophy, and literature it also assumes the task of reconciling the cultural inheritance of Greece and Rome with the Christian tradition (itself entering into a moment of crisis as allegiances split between the Catholic church and the "reformed" church of Luther and Calvin). Our first task is to look at antiquity; our second, to explore the ways in which European culture between 1400 and 1700 invents the modern by making itself conversant with the past. Readings: Homer's Odyssey; Sophocles' Antigone; Plato's Phaedo and Symposium; Vergil's Aeneid; Genesis, Exodus, Job, Luke, Acts, John; Augustine's Confessions; Castiglione's Book of the Courtier; Machiavelli's Prince; Erasmus's Praise of Folly; Montaigne's Essays; More's Utopia; Shakespeare's Tempest.
Introduction to Computers and Programming: In this course, we will study the fundamentals of computer programming, one of the towering intellectual achievements of the 20th century. We will design, code, and debug programs using Java as we explore these concepts.
Elementary Latin I: Introduction to the essentials of Latin, the language of Vergil, Caesar, and Seneca. Five hours of instruction weekly, with both oral and written drills and an emphasis on the ability to read Latin rather than merely translate it.
I got all of those from the NYU website. :) I'm excited!

No comments:
Post a Comment